The former Albemarle Elementary School at 720 Magnolia Rd., built in 1957, is re-opening as an office complex called The School House. The ribbon-cutting ceremony will be held Wed. at 5 pm before the monthly West Ashley Revitalization Commission meeting. After the meeting, John Hagerty with Avison Young real estate will lead a tour of the redeveloped facility.
The office spaces available for lease range from 240 square feet to 660 square feet, with rent starting at $500 per month. The Charleston Parks Conservancy is already a major tenant at The School House, which includes a shared conference room. The facility also contains an event center which includes a commercial kitchen and can be rented for wedding receptions and conferences. It is adjacent to the 3.7 acre Magnolia Park and Community Garden, which enables residents to lease boxed 4 x 8 garden plots with topsoil.
The West Ashley Revitalization Commission meeting will focus on a series of citizen input workshops and open design studios, which kick off Mon., Apr. 24 at 6 pm at John Wesley Methodist Church on 626 Savannah Hwy. The purpose of the events is to solicit feedback in developing the West Ashley Master Plan, which will look at facets including housing, economic development, traffic and transportation, drainage, and parks and recreation.
The planning sessions all have a drop-in format in which residents and business owners can provide written or oral input to facilitators from the consulting firm Dover Kohl. The design studio phase will be held from Mon., May 8 to Fri., May 12 at the Center Court area of Citadel Mall. They will include drawings compiled from the four citizen input workshop recommendations. Learn more about the planning process at http://www.PlanWestAshley.com